Memory Question

Colin J. Raven colin at kenmore.kozy-kabin.nl
Thu Jan 13 12:43:56 PST 2005

The essence of the original question was:

>> Is there something I can do in order to "optimize" -
>> which in this case
>> paradoxically would seem to mean "reduce" the amount
>> of free memory?

On Jan 13 at 15:12, Bryan Fullerton suggested:

On Jan 13 at 12:28, Gregor Mosheh also said in a similar vein:

> The simple answer is: "Use it!" Exactly how depends on
> what you're running. Basically, check the docs for all
> the stuff your server is running and see what you can
> do to throw more memory at it. A lot of software has
> docs about performance tuning, and its memory usage
> (and performance) can usually be cranked up.
>
> If you're using a database server, check the DB's
> config file (postgresql.conf or my.cnf) and allocate a
> bunch of memory to buffers. If you're running Apache,
> you can increase the spare servers; if your Apache
> runs Perl CGI programs, you could consider using
> mod_perl.

OK, this makes sense! All the while I was attempting to be as
"economical" as seemed possible under the circumstances...or as
economical as various config settings seemed to allow. I guess this goes
back to the era I only recently emerged from, where any machine I owned
had considerably less resources to spare. Or more accurately, *no*
resources to spare. Odd feeling knowing there's a ton of horsepower
available that's not (yet) being utilized.

Gentlemen, thank you for the feedback and guidance. My appreciation for
this OS and this group grows exponentially - daily.

Boris and fellow trolls, please take note.

Regards,
-Colin
--
Colin J. Raven
FreeBSD 5.3-RELEASE - http://www.FreeBSD.org - There can be only One

Today's random silliness:
1.00 VEB (Veneualan Bolivares) = 0.000626468 CAD (Candadian Dollars)
http://www.xe.com: your universal useless currency conversion tool