How to use X without installing X?

Doug Poland doug at polands.org
Thu Jan 13 11:34:21 PST 2005

On Thu, Jan 13, 2005 at 02:06:20PM -0500, Richard Morse wrote:
> Hi!  I have a FreeBSD 5 STABLE computer which is acting as a server.
> Because it doesn't need it, I don't want to install all of X -- my goal
> is that there shouldn't be anything that I can't do over ssh from a
> command-line.
>
> Unfortunately, Oracle doesn't agree with me.

... snip ...

> What is the minimum that I need to install to make this work?

On my 5.3 servers, I install xorg-libraries so I can run X clients on remote
X servers.  From a remote host use a command similar to:

xserver% ssh -Xf xclient.mydomain.com /path/to/install/directory/OracleInstaller

where:
  xserver = your X workstation
  xclient = your server w/xorg-libraries installed

--
Regards,
Doug