Production Release 5.3 Installation Won't Boot

babaloo munchies babaloomunchies at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 13 02:06:09 PST 2005

Greetings,

Thank you for your quick response.  The CD image
itself was fine--the 5.3 installation disc booted on a
newer laptop.

I finally gave up and used floppies and was able to
install 5.3 from CD on the pentium mmx desktop.  This
is strange because the 4.8 installation cd booted fine
on the same pentium desktop.

One difference between 4.8 & 5.3 is that the 5.3 loads
ACPI , but is the ACPI module loaded in the
installation kernel? Is it an interrupt problem?  I
don't know.  But I do have 5.3 running happily on it
now thanks to teh floppies.

(sorry if I don't understand the FreeBSD kernel or if
I'm using the wrong terminology.  In GNU/Linux I
believe ACPI must be compiled into the kernel.)

thank you gods (devils) of FreeBSD.  FYI, this pentium
mmx machine running 5.3 is a ROCKET even when compared
to an optimally compiled Gentoo Linux kernel.  I have
never seen any machine boot as fast, restart apache &
serve webpages as fast as this, and it's only a
pentium mmx. wow.