Freebsd 5.3 Performance

Butterworth, Thaddaeus (Manpower Contract) thad.butterworth at hp.com
Wed Jan 12 19:30:10 PST 2005

[mailto:owner-freebsd->questions at freebsd.org] On Behalf Of Chris
>Sent: Wednesday, January 12, 2005 5:44 PM
>Cc: questions at freebsd.org
>Subject: Re: Freebsd 5.3 Performance
>
>Tm4528 at aol.com wrote:
>> Mr Watson,
>>
>> As you are listed as the leader of the FreeBSD foundation, and you
seem to be
>> the
>> only one willing to admit that FreeBSD 5.3 is not yet up to the
performance
>> of 4.x,
>> doesn't in concern you that:
>>
>> 1) Freebsd 4.x is not being supported as a production O/S, and the
"support"
>> is
>> ending with 4.11 before 5.x is ready performance-wise?
>> 2) FreeBSD 4.x doesn't seem to work well with the 7520/5 chipsets,
which are
>> required to run the latest Intel XEON CPUs (Dell's most powerful
servers, for
>> example,
>> are based on the 7520). A long-standing PR has been largely ignored
>> 3) None of your "developers", according to Ted M, have ever "heard
of" Intel's
>> latest and most powerful chipsets.
>> 4) no one in your "organization" seems to care about 1, 2 or 3
>>
>> FreeBSD has fallen into a performance "hole" of sorts, in that the
fastest
>> version
>> doesnt run on the fastest Motherboards. Its easily correctable, by
simply
>> dedicating
>> resources for a day or 2 to find out whats wrong with the 7520
support. I'd
>> like to hear
>> why you don't think its worthwhile, as a primary goal, to make
certain that
>> the
>> fastest version of the product works well on the fastest available
>> motherboards.
>
>Hahahaha - are we smelling a troll?!
>
>--
>Best regards,
>Chris
>
>I finally got it all together ...
>but I forgot where I put it.

Maybe the troll could be persuaded to work on a fix for the alleged
problems that it's seeing. It would be far more productive and everyone,
I'm sure would be much happier.

BTW, I ran across the troll's name and another email address (probably
one that doesn't change every 45 days) on a financial forum I was
perusing. For a brief moment I was severely tempted to sign the troll up
for every spam list that I could Google. Then my conscience kicked in
and I remembered that it wouldn't be the right thing to do. Just think
of the things I could have accomplished if my parents hadn't raised me
with morals. <sigh> Oh well, time to update my email filters again.