nVidia 6800 quick-and-dirty

José de Paula espinafre at gmail.com
Wed Jan 12 18:30:30 PST 2005

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 16:11:04 -0600, Christopher Menzel <cmenzel at tamu.edu> wrote:
> Hi, you wrote:
>
>  > I've just bought a GeForce 6800 card, and it worked wonderfully
>  > with the nvidia-driver port.
>
> I, by contrast, am pulling my hair out trying to get this card/driver
> combination to work (under FreeBSD 5.3).  Would you mind sending me
> (the relevant parts of) your xorg.conf file?
>
> Thanks very much.
>
> -chris

Sure. There you go:

=== xorg.conf (relevant sections) ===
Section "Module"
   Load        "dbe"   # Double buffer extension
#    SubSection  "extmod"
#      Option    "omit xfree86-dga"   # don't initialise the DGA extension
#    EndSubSection

    Load        "type1"
    Load        "speedo"
    Load        "freetype"
    Load        "xtt"

#    Load       "dri"

        Load "bitmap"
        Load "extmod"
        Load "glx"

EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier  "nVidia GeForce 6800"
    Driver      "nvidia"
    VendorName  "NVIDIA"
    BoardName   "GeForce 6800"
    Option "NvAGP" "3"
    Option "DRI"
EndSection

=== end of relevant xorg.conf sections ===

Now, I compiled my kernel with agp.o as module (in opposition to
compiled into the kernel); I commented out the line
device agp
from my kernel config file, and my /boot/loader.conf is as follows:

=== /boot/loader.conf ===
linux_load="YES"
agp_load="YES"
nvidia_load="YES"
=== end of /boot/loader.conf ===

That's it. startx, and you should see the nvidia logo before your
window manager starts.

Oh, I don't use a graphical login manager, perhaps that is causing problem...

Good luck,

José de Paula