server replication?

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Wed Jan 12 15:39:00 PST 2005

Gregor Mosheh wrote:
> For starters, how does such a solution work
> conceptually? The possibility of load-balancing
> appliances has been suggested; how does this work with
> user databases and uploaded files? Our services are
> primarily web-based and do involve a significant
> amount of users uploading files, and database
> (postgres) work.

For databases, you'll need to look into a RDMBS which supports parallelism and
distributed transaction processing.  Oracle will sell you something, albeit
for a hefty price.  :-)

For files, people using redundant multipath topology over fibre-channel, which
allows several machines to access the same filestorage safely in parallel.
I'm not sure there's much of the available for FreeBSD, but Apple just
released their Xsan product based off the Xserve RAID boxes and various
third-party fibre-channel switches.

--
-Chuck