'cause the ports don't work...

Kris Kennaway kris at obsecurity.org
Wed Jan 12 12:47:23 PST 2005

On Wed, Jan 12, 2005 at 01:04:34PM +0100, craig wrote:
> i've had a good couple of problems installing ports, either because of
> compilation issues, or because they were just not there.
> is there something i am missing?
>
> zB, i need to install stlport, and a quick search on www.freshports.org
> shows that it should be as easy as
> pkg_add -r stlport-gcc
>
> when i try that, however, it fails real quick with a 'unable to fetch'
> error.
> it is not alone in this, some port packages work. some not.
>
> when that fails, i typically go into the relevant /usr/ports/ directory
> and go through the make process.
> but for a port whose package failed, more often than not the make
> process fails too.
>
> am i missing something?

Some packages may not be redistributed for license reasons, and others
are broken at a given time (obviously if the port build fails the
package can not be produced).  If the package was buildable and
redistributable at the time of the last build, it will be on the ftp
site.

> (on that note - portversion -l "<" tells me that openoffice is behind,
> but when i try to portupgrade it also fails...)
>
> any suggestions?

Include useful error messages when reporting errors, we can't guess
what's going wrong on your system.

Kris