Which OS should we use?

Paul Schmehl pauls at utdallas.edu
Wed Jan 12 07:54:13 PST 2005

--On Tuesday, January 11, 2005 05:48:41 PM -0800 sp0ng3b0b
<sp0ng3b0b at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> I'm in the same boat. I've had mixed results with 5.3. I advise you to
> test it out for your needs. If your hardware and apps play well together,
> go for it. As a web, mysql and samba server, I've had no problems.
>
> As an IDS running snort, I've had problems with the nge driver. I need
> these NICs for monitoring gigabit links. Simply "uping" the interface
> caused FreeBSD to panic. I posted here and opened a problem report, but
> got no replies. FWIW, I never saw a kernel panic until I used 5.3, but I
> do acknowledge that the technology added is new and results may very.

Thanks for pointing that out.  In fact, *one* of the servers *will* be
running snort.  I'm not sure what our NICs are, though.  I believe they're
Intel, but I'll have to check.

Paul Schmehl (pauls at utdallas.edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
The University of Texas at Dallas