Trouble starting MySQL

Eric F Crist ecrist at secure-computing.net
Wed Jan 12 03:09:07 PST 2005

On Jan 12, 2005, at 4:23 AM, Colin J. Raven wrote:

> On Jan 12 at 10:20, Walker, Michael then said:
>
>> Colin J. Raven wrote:
>>> On Jan 12 at 09:35, Walker, Michael suggested:

>>> OK, I added the necessary stuff to /etc/rc.conf and attempted to
>>> start
>>> mysql via the mysql-server.sh script. Nothing doing.
>>>
>>> I rebooted the box, checked to see if mysql was running. It wasn't.
>>>
>>> I attempted once more to start it from the script - Nothing.
>>>
>>> OK, I'm back to where I started.
>>>
>>> Ideas?
>>>

>> Did you added mysql_enable="YES" to /etc/rc.conf?
>>

> Yes, it's in there, as per your instructions :-)

That is *actually* supposed to be mysqld_enable="YES".  You're missing
the 'd'.  If you read the script located in /usr/local/etc/rc.d, you'll
see a comment of the exact line to add to your rc.conf file.

To start a server without rebooting the system, simply type the
following (this example is for mysqld):

# /usr/local/etc/rc.d/mysqld.sh start

HTH
Eric F Crist                  "I am so smart, S.M.R.T!"
Secure Computing Networks              -Homer J Simpson