sendmail problem - Helo command rejected: Host not found

Srot BULL pwd8jmr22w at me.point.ne.jp
Tue Jan 11 19:52:46 PST 2005

Hello again...

On Mon, 2005-01-10 at 23:18 -0500, Chuck Swiger wrote:
> Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
> > On 2005-01-10 19:38, Chuck Swiger <cswiger at mac.com> wrote:
> [ ... ]
> >>Go to /etc/mail.  Edit freebsd.cf (look for SMART_HOST), point it at your
> >>ISP's mail server.  Do "make stop; make install; make start".
> >
> > FWIW, the file edited should be `freebsd.mc', not `freebsd.cf' otherwise
> > a subsequent "make install" will overwrite the edited `freebsd.cf' file
> > with a fresh copy generated from `freebsd.mc'.
>
> Err, yes, that's right.  (I knew which file I meant.  :-)
>
> Note that you can even copy freebsd.mc to hostname.mc, and the system will
> find it for you so you don't have to change the default template file.  The
> Makefile explains this better than I did.

I did edit the file /etc/mail/freebsd.mc and changed the line containing
the SMART_HOST to
define(`SMART_HOST', `me.point.ne.jp')
and
# cd /etc/mail/
# make stop
# make install
# make start

Everything went well...
I now have a r40e.point.ne.jp.mc and the all..
But, when I tried to send an Email to my yahoo.com account to test if it
is working...

Here is what came back to my InBox:
The original message was received at Wed, 12 Jan 2005 12:34:41 GMT
from localhost [127.0.0.1]

<srotbull at yahoo.com>
    (reason: 554 <srotbull at yahoo.com>: Relay access denied)

... while talking to vc.point.ne.jp.:
>>> DATA
<<< 554 <srotbull at yahoo.com>: Relay access denied
554 5.0.0 Service unavailable
<<< 554 Error: no valid recipients

It seems that I was not allowed to relay my email so I tried the
archives and then I tried reading the README file
at /usr/share/sendmail/cf/README
and found something about:

Providing SMTP AUTH Data when sendmail acts as Client

I read a little and did what I understood:
1) created a /etc/mail/authinfo file with the following
AuthInfo:point.ne.jp "U:myusername" "I:myusername" "P:password"
AuthInfo:me.point.ne.jp "U:myusername" "I:myusername" "P:password"

Did a
# cd /etc/mail/
# make stop
# make install
# make start
No problems but still I can not send Emails using sendmail...

Any hints...Or am I going the wrong direction here and probably messed
my configuration badly now...?