Hyperthreading hurts 5.3?

Timothy J. Luoma lists at tntluoma.com
Tue Jan 11 16:52:48 PST 2005

summary: should I disable hypertheading in the  BIOS when running 5.3?

Background info:

I have a new Dell Dimension 3000 running 5.3.

I noticed some huge pauses when copying a large # of files across the
network.  Googling around found some information about earlier versions of
5.x and Hyperthreading being detrimenatl for performance.

Whether or not it was the source of the network copy problem, I am trying
to decide if I should disable Hyperthreading.

Iif YES, I wasn't clear if people meant "disable in BIOS" or just some
configuration setting in a *.conf file.

(disabling HT will apparently mean I have to reinstall XP on the other
drive.  Not necessarily a bad thing, as it is supposedly also the way to
solve the problem of my modem causing a BSOD in XP)

thanks

TjL