smtp pull

Andrew Thomson andrewjt at applecomm.net
Tue Jan 11 14:48:48 PST 2005

Hi,

Looking for some thoughts on the following scenario.

firewall ---- smtp2

smtp1

smtp1 is on the DMZ. So smtp1 is the first point of call for incoming
mail. Mail ultimately has to end up on smtp2 however I do not want smtp1
to simply forward the mail to smtp2 as I'll have to explicitly allow the
setup of port 25 through the firewall to smtp2.

I would like smtp2 to connect to smtp1 and pull back the mail so that
it's smtp2 that initiating an outgoing connection to smtp1.

Is there any smtp type approach I can use?

Obviously I can make smtp1 drop the mail in a mailbox on smtp1 and then
get smtp2 to imap or pop the mail out however I'm looking for something
that's fast and pop doesn't really excite me..

Anyone have any other thoughts?

Thanks,

ajt.

--