Which OS should we use?

Charles Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Tue Jan 11 13:42:53 PST 2005

On Jan 11, 2005, at 4:22 PM, Paul Schmehl wrote:
> We're getting ready to create some new servers from scratch
> (format/install).  We've been using 4.9 and 4.10 for a while now with
> no problems.  We've got one 5.3 box setup for test purposes.
>
> On this list I have seen comments about instability issues in 5.3.
> These servers need to be stable.  Should we install 4.10/11?  Or move
> up to 5.3?

If the servers need to be stable, and you've been using 4.10 and are
satisfied with it, *and* you don't have time to test 5.3 to achieve a
similiar level of confidence, go with 4.10/4.11.  However, it sounds
like you've had some time to test 5.3, and such testing ought to give
you feedback on how 4.x versus 5.x performs for your particular
workload, and you can make a decision from there.

I have a number of 4.x systems in production, and I won't upgrade them
to 5 simply for the sake of updating, but new machines are getting 5.3.

--
-Chuck