Odd kernel error on an NFS server

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org
Tue Jan 11 06:10:40 PST 2005

M <m at obmail.net> writes:

> I occasionally see this on an NFS server under heavy load
>
> ufs_rename: fvp == tvp (can't happen)
>
> Any idea what this means and where I should look to fix it?

It means that somehow the UFS code got a request to rename a file to
itself, and the kernel code didn't think it was possible for such a
request to get into the kernel.  [e.g., the mv(1) command checks for
that before issuing the system call, so it can't happen that way]

The error *is* handled cleanly, so it isn't necessarily a problem,
but if you figure out what's causing it, preferably in a way that
someone else can reproduce, please report it.

		http://be-well.ilk.org/~lowell/