NFS export of evolution

Daniel Bye freebsd-questions at slightlystrange.org
Tue Jan 11 02:38:51 PST 2005

On Sun, Jan 09, 2005 at 06:43:05PM -1000, Robert Marella wrote:

> I have a SOHO set up with several computers running a mix of FreeBSD 5.3
> Release and Stable. I have an NFS server set up so that data can be
> shared at all of the computers.
>
> I would like to have the ability to retrieve mail from any of the
> computers I happen to be logged into. I have tried various permutations
> of exporting /home, /home/reg-user, and /home/reg-user/.evolution and I
> always get the same error when trying to read mail.

If your main concern is being able to read/send email from any host on
the network, why not run an IMAP server?

I use use courier-imap from the ports on a machine that, among many
other things, also exports nfs file systems.  It's easy to get working,
and works really well for a small setup.  If you don't run your own smtp
server, you can retrieve mail from your ISP's pop or imap servers using
fetchmail, passing messages to procmail, which can deliver them in a
format that courier-imapd can understand.

Just a thought.

HTH

Dan

--
Daniel Bye

PGP Key fingerprint: 3B9D 8BBB EB03 BA83 5DB4 3B88 86FC F03A 90A1 BE8F
                                                                     _
                                              ASCII ribbon campaign ( )
                                         - against HTML, vCards and  X
                                - proprietary attachments in e-mail / \