High levels of breakin attempts

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at toybox.placo.com
Tue Jan 11 00:59:55 PST 2005

The FAQ and the handbook serve different needs.  If the official
FAQ is got rid of then someone else will just write one on their
website and post it because the need is still there - and the info
on theirs could be pretty -wrong-.  It's better I think to have an
official one even if every question is answered by "see section
XYZ in the handbook, here's the link to it"

> In many cases, questions should be merged into the handbook, after all
> if a question continuously reappears so as to create an entry
> in the FAQ
> it may be because it is not explained well enough in the man-pages or
> the handbook.

There's different ways of explaining the same thing, and an alterative
way may be better for some people than others.  There's plenty of
people who read my book and felt it explained things better than
the Handbook, and vis-versa.  But both my book and the handbook
had the same info in many cases - so what it boiled down to is
that my style was easier for some people to absorb, the handbooks
style was easier for other people to absorb.

> But for the above question, I don't see this fit particularly
> well into
> the handbook.

Section 14 is where it would fit.

> Not to offend OP, the occasional reappearance of a question is
> fine, it
> was only the short latancy (<5h) that made me think, "please, read the
> list also".

You obviously forgot when you were in High School and the teacher
gave the assignment for the next day, then at 2 minute intervals
following this for about 10 minutes kids were asking "what's the
assignment for tomorrow" ;-)

Ted