building a package without installing it

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org
Mon Jan 10 14:54:06 PST 2005

daniel quinn <freebsd at danielquinn.org> writes:

> On January 10, 2005 05:17 pm, Michael C. Shultz wrote:
> > If the port is allready installed try:
> >    pkg_create -b {name of installed port as listed under /var/db/pkg}
>
> cool, thanks
> and what if i don't want it installed on this machine?  if i just want to
> build it here for use elsewhere?

You could install to a different prefix (by setting PREFIX, I think)
and point to a different package database (by setting PKG_DBDIR).  I'm
not sure if that would work, though; at the very worst, you could
do the package building in a jail like the ports cluster does...

		http://be-well.ilk.org/~lowell/