building a package without installing it

daniel quinn freebsd at danielquinn.org
Mon Jan 10 14:11:24 PST 2005

On January 10, 2005 05:02 pm, Frank Laszlo wrote:
> daniel quinn wrote:
> >is this even possible?  a number of google results have informed me that
> > it isn't, but i'm hoping there's a hack or a work around.  essentially, i
> > want to build the packages on one box, copy them to many boxes and run
> > package_add there.
> >
> >suggestions/comments?
>
> FYI, this belongs on -ports.

sorry 'bout that.  i wasn't sure since it's both a question and something
concerning ports ;-)

> what is wrong with 'make package' ?

from the ports manual:
   package   Make a binary package for the port.  The port will be
             installed if it has not already been.  The package is a
             .tbz file that you can use to install the port on other
             machines with pkg_add(1).  If the directory specified by
             PACKAGES does not exist, the package will be put into
             the current directory.  See PKGREPOSITORY and PKGFILE.

sounds encouraging, but here's what happens when i actually try it:

  # cd /usr/ports/shells/bash
  # make package
  ===>  Installing for bash-3.0.16_1
  ===>   bash-3.0.16_1 depends on shared library: intl - found
  ===>   Generating temporary packing list
  ===>  Checking if shells/bash already installed
  ===>   bash-3.0.16_1 is already installed
        You may wish to ``make deinstall'' and install this port again
        by ``make reinstall'' to upgrade it properly.
        If you really wish to overwrite the old port of shells/bash
        without deleting it first, set the variable "FORCE_PKG_REGISTER"
        in your environment or the "make install" command line.
  *** Error code 1

  Stop in /usr/ports/shells/bash.

there's nowhere for me to specify that i don't want bash installed on this
machine.

--
Now think real hard. You've been bird-dogging this township a while now. They
wouldn't mind a corpse of you. Now you can luxuriate in a nice jail cell, but