WiFi PCMCIA or CardBus cards with Compaq Armada laptops?

John john at starfire.mn.org
Mon Jan 10 12:18:02 PST 2005

When I upgraded from FreeBSD 4.9-STABLE (yeah - about a year old) to
FreeBSD 5.2.1, my WiFi capability went away.  I have tried my own
LinkSys card and borrowed a friend's NETGEAR card with essentially
the same problem (it's not 100% deterministic even with the same card,
so it's hard to be 100% sure, but the big picture is sure the same).

With either card, the system eventually locks up so hard that the
only way to shut it down is to disconnect the battery - the power
switch doesn't work.  Sometimes I see a Fatal Trap 19 and panic:
non-maskable interrupt in (while in kernel mode), and sometimes, it
just locks up right after displaying the driver line - but it isn't
useful in any case.

I have reported this as a hardware bug through GNATS, but it seems
like it would be something someone who have noticed between 5.2.1
and now, and I sure couldn't find any similar bug reports before turning
in mine.

I would really appreciate hearing from anyone who
a) has a similar problem
b) has a similar setup but does not have the problem.  802.11b cards
   are not expensive - I'd be quite willing to buy a new CardBus or
   PCMCIA card if I had a reasonable expectation of it not behaving
   in this way.

Thanks!
--

John Lind