Sil 3114 RAID controller issues with FreeBSD 5.3 Release AMD-64 - and Promise RAID controllers???

Gerhard Schmidt estartu at augusta.de
Mon Jan 10 06:04:18 PST 2005

On Mon, Jan 10, 2005 at 02:26:34PM +0100, Olaf Greve wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Last Friday I ranted:
>
> >In this case, time IS money, so that's why I'm trying to convince my
> >client to better spend that money (and my time) on simply buying a
> >supported hardware RAID controller, which really is a win-win situation
> >for both my client and myself. However, somehow I've not yet been able
> >to drive that argument home, so who knows...:/
>
> Well, eureka, I did it! :)
> That is... I managed to convince the client to go hardware RAID. ;)
>
> They have a preference for the following controller: Promise FAST Trak
> S150TX4
>
> But..................................
>
> As far as I gather from the supported hardware list (fbsd 5.3, amd-64)
> at: http://www.freebsd.org/releases/5.3R/hardware-amd64.html#DISK
>
> It looks like this controller is not supported. :(
>
> To further compound matters, checking the docs on the controller
> suggests that, again, this is basically a software RAID solution (no
> CPU, no on-board memory, and a 66MHz PCI 2.2 32-bit interface): nice to
> complement their otherwise blazingly fast 64-bit AMD machine, duh! :(((
>
> Oh well, again I made a very strong suggestion to buy the Adaptec 2200s
> U320 SCSI RAID controller, but we'll see... :)
>
> Meanwhile, does anyone know of a good hardware SATA RAID controller
> capable of supporting RAID 10, and which is properly supported by
> FreeBSD 5.3 (amd64)? Any experiences? Any do's and dont's?

Hi,

I'am runnig some 3ware Storage Controllers on 5.2.1 and
5.3 on i386 Hardware. They work well.

I use a 3ware 3W-8500-8 disk controller with 4 disks in Raid 5 Mode
and some 3ware 3W-7006-2 disk controller with 2 disks in Raid 1 Mode.

So far no problems with them. They react well on HotSwaps of defectiv
disks (had one diskfailure allready).

Gerhard Schmidt    | Nick : estartu      IRC : Estartu  |
Fischbachweg 3     |                                    |  PGP Public Key
86856 Hiltenfingen | Privat: estartu at augusta.de         |   auf Anfrage/
Germany            |                                    |    on request