Installation of 5.3 over network fails on boot up.

Joe Dunsmore duns0014 at umn.edu
Sun Jan 9 19:35:05 PST 2005

> On Thu, Dec 18, 2003 at 11:27:51AM +0100, Arne Engø wrote:
>
>/> I have been using FreeBSD earlier, but am new to the 5.0-Release.
/>/> The boot.flp image seems to be twice the size of an ordinary floppy,
while the other four images in the floppies-directory fits on exactly one
disk each. What are the BOOT.FLP disk for ? How is it to be used, and how do
I use it on a 1.44 - floppy disk drive system ??? I would appreciate a speedy
reply, as I'm trying to set up a new system with Freebsd 5.0-release.
/>
> You don't use boot.flp with a 1.44Mb floppy drive.  You can use
> boot.flp with a 2.88Mb floppy drive, but relatively few people have
> one of those.  You can also use it to build certain styles of bootable
> CD Rom -- although I think even that use is verging on the obsolete
> nowadays.

boot.flp is the same size as the kernX.flp files, and the installation manual
said all three files are needed.  This is in sections 1.3 and 1.4 of
http://www.freebsd.org/releases/5.3R/installation-i386.html