laptop won't boot past 2.1x

Kris Maglione bsdaemon at comcast.net
Sun Jan 9 17:07:28 PST 2005

I have a laptop that I originally installed 5.2.1 on. When 5.3 came out,
I installed it immediately, only to find that the boot hung at detecting
my ATA cd-rw/dvd drive. Verbose mode stops at:
GEOM: Configure ad0s1 start ... length ... end ...
GEOM: Configure ad0s2[a-f] start ... length ... end ...

(Sorry, there's no serial port on the laptop. I can type it out by hand
if need be, though.)

With the latest stable and atapicam/pass/cd built in, it ends with lines
similar to:
(probe[0-5]:...) error 22
(probe[0-5]:...) Unretryable error

Otherwise, it ends with the same GEOM: Configure lines

I have tried the latest HEAD as a FreesBIE disk and have gotten the same
results. A FreesBIE -CURRENT from around the time of the 5.2.1 release
works, initializing pass0 right after the error22 lines.

Any suggestions on the problem or how to clarify it?