I quit

David Kelly dkelly at HiWAAY.net
Sun Jan 9 17:01:29 PST 2005

On Jan 9, 2005, at 6:17 PM, Scott Bennett wrote:

>      On Sun, 9 Jan 2005 08:54:55 -0600 Andrew L. Gould
> <algould at datawok.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Mac OSX is based upon FreeBSD and may have native versions of the
>
>      Mac OSX was--and unless something has changed drastically in the
> last
> few weeks, still is--based upon NextStep, another proprietary UNIX
> that was
> based upon a Mach 2.4-2.5 kernel and 4.3BSD above that.

Thats a Linux fallacy, that the kernel makes the OS. Apple's collection
of command line utilities we commonly think of as the Unix interface
come from FreeBSD. As for what I've seen of the Darwin kernel, in grand
BSD tradition Apple freely picked from here and there, whatever they
thought best, and made what can only be said to be their own.

>> applications you need.  I talked my 11 year old nephew through an
>> operating system upgrade (clean installation) of his ibook over the
>> phone -- including wireless networking with WEP.
>>
>      Unfortunately, Apple has not released a version for Intel
> processors,
> so it won't help someone with a pee cee instead of a Mac.

Wrong, its called Darwin. If you think FreeBSD is raw then go play with
Darwin for a bit. Darwin is used for both i386 and PowerPC. MacOS X is
Darwin plus the fantastic Apple GUI and other neat Apple stuff.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly at HiWAAY.net