AGP not working on nForce3

Louis LeBlanc FreeBSD at keyslapper.org
Sun Jan 9 12:51:26 PST 2005

On 01/09/05 08:38 PM, Mats Kristoffersen sat at the `puter and typed:
> > > <SNIP>
> >
> > That may be why NvAGP overrides to "3".  Using "NvAGP" "1", but
> > compiling the drivers with WITH_FREEBSD_AGP should be mutually
> > exclusive.  One tells the driver to use the NVidia AGP, the other
> > tells it to use the native FreeBSD AGP.  Like I said, you need to
> > pick one.  The NVidia AGP is probably the better choice.  You
> > mention below that it's already removed from the kernel, but that
> > doesn't make sense if you're getting the agp0: console output.
> > I'm assuming the kernel was rebuilt since that config was
> > commented out, but is that config the one that was used?
>
> Yes, I recompiled with just WITH_ACPI, and now it's 1 as default.  I
> even cvsupped world and rebuilt, and now nvidia.ko doesn't try the
> agp0 stuff. I guess that's progress, but AGP still doesn't work.

Progress is very often nothing more than a change in error conditions
:)

Ok, how about the hw.nvidia sysctls and the logs?  Any warnings (WW)
or errors (EE) in /var/log/Xorg.0.log?  There will probably be a
couple warnings related to modes, but those are probably not directly
related.

Every time you make a change, check the hw.nvidia.agp.status sysctls.
Mine are as follows:
hw.nvidia.agp.status.status: enabled
hw.nvidia.agp.status.driver: nvidia
hw.nvidia.agp.status.rate: 8x
hw.nvidia.agp.status.fw: disabled
hw.nvidia.agp.status.sba: enabled

You might have a couple differences, particularly the fw and sba
values, but you want the rate to be 8x or at least 4x, and status
enabled.  As you track down warnings and errors in the Xorg.0.log
file, you will probably be able to guess what kind of changes are
needed in xorg.conf.  Check the README.Linux file in the NVidia driver
directory mentioned before for any tokens mentioned in those warning
or error log entries.  You will probably have to try different
settings to eliminate the warnings or errors, but it's just a config
change and X restart (Ctrl-Alt-Backspace).  Compile/reinstall stuff is
probably not needed at this point.

> > Then you should definitely not be compiling the drivers with
> > WITH_FREEBSD_AGP.  Try recompiling without that config.  Linux support
> > is probably not a problem, so don't worry about that.
>
> What would the NvAGP "3" option do, then, if it couldn't fall back on
> nvidia's agp implementation? I supposed it could do both if you built
> with WITH_FREEBSD_AGP. Oh well, it's gone now.

I couldn't tell you why it's there if it seems to conflict so.
Probably it's more a config to tell the driver that it might be there,
but might not?  That way, if you set "NvAGP" "3", you'll wind up with
whichever one works - assuming it does work.  I was using the native
FreeBSD AGP driver at one point, but it didn't "work".  When it's
compiled into the kernel, the sysctls can be read with
`sysctl -a | grep agp` but I don't know exactly where they are.

> > What do you get from the command kldstat?
>
> Id Refs Address    Size     Name
>   1   14 0xc0400000 350800   kernel
>   2    2 0xc0751000 1c180    linux.ko
>   3    1 0xc076e000 5844     snd_ich.ko
>   4    2 0xc0774000 1d4fc    sound.ko
>   5   14 0xc0792000 54974    acpi.ko
>   6    1 0xc23fc000 27000    pf.ko
>   7    1 0xc2450000 2000     blank_saver.ko
>   8    1 0xc301a000 479000   nvidia.ko

Looks right.  Now to get the config right.

Lou
Louis LeBlanc               FreeBSD at keyslapper.org
http://www.keyslapper.org                     Ô¿Ô¬

We are sorry.  We cannot complete your call as dialed.  Please check
the number and dial again or ask your operator for assistance.