AGP not working on nForce3

Mats Kristoffersen f00makr at dd.chalmers.se
Sun Jan 9 10:58:59 PST 2005

Louis LeBlanc wrote:
> On 01/09/05 06:45 PM, Mats Kristoffersen sat at the `puter and typed:
>
>>I have trouble with AGP using the nVidia drivers from ports.
>>
>>I have a MSI K8N neo2 motherboard (nForce3 Ultra), an Athlon64 3000+ CPU
>>and a GeForce FX 5200. I'm running FreeBSD 5.3-STABLE in i386 mode.
>

> Exactly the card I'm using, but I'm not using an Athlon.
>

>>When I load the nvidia drivers, it says:
>>
>>agp0: <NVIDIA Generic AGP Controller> mem 0xe8000000-0xefffffff at
>>device 0.0 on pci0
>>agp0: Unable to find NVIDIA Memory Controller 1.
>

> That's the kernel agp.  You might want to pull it out of the kernel
> and use the Nvidia agp.
>

>>device_attach: agp0 attach returned 19
>>nvidia0: <GeForce FX 5200> mem
>>0xf0000000-0xf3ffffff,0xf4000000-0xf4ffffff irq 16 at device 0.0 on pci1
>>nvidia0: [GIANT-LOCKED]
>

> Looks like a 64M card?  Mines 128M, but that shouldn't matter here.
>

>>When I startx, it says
>>
>>NVRM: AGP cannot be enabled on this combination of the AMD CPU and OS kernel
>>NVRM: kernel upgrade recommended.
>

> You need to pick an AGP driver.  This is done in /etc/X11/xorg.conf
> with the NvAGP setting.  I use
>         Option "NvAGP" "1" # Use Nvidia agp
> Of course, I had to remove the agp device from my kernel.  It may also
> be necessary for you to build a custom kernel that makes use of some
> Athlon specific features - I'm using a Pentium myself, but there are
> plenty of folks on the list that can recommend options and devices to
> look at.
>

>>There is no /dev/agp or similar. Having agp enabled or disabled in the
>>kernel or loading agp.ko dynamically makes no difference.
>

> The absence of a /dev/agp is not important.  agp.ko is the FreeBSD agp
> driver, you might be better with the nvidia agp.
>

>>Nvidia-related sysctl variables:
>>hw.nvidia.agp.card.rates: 8x 4x
>>hw.nvidia.agp.card.fw: supported
>>hw.nvidia.agp.card.sba: supported
>>hw.nvidia.agp.card.registers: 0x1f000e1b:0x00000000
>>hw.nvidia.version: NVIDIA FreeBSD x86 NVIDIA Kernel Module  1.0-6113 Mon Aug  2 16:08:32 PDT 2004
>>hw.nvidia.registry.EnableVia4x: 0
>>hw.nvidia.registry.EnableALiAGP: 0
>>hw.nvidia.registry.NvAGP: 3
>
>                       ^
> Setting this to 3 tells the driver to try the native AGP first.  I had
> trouble with this, and had to compile the agp device out of my kernel
> to get it to work right.  Notice below that I set NvAGP to 1.

For some reason the sysctl var is set to 3 even though I use
Option "NvAGP" "1"
in xorg.conf. Setting it manually before starting X leaves it at 1, but
that doesn't help.

> How did you compile the drivers?  My pkgtools.conf uses the following:
>        'WITHOUT_LINUX=yes',
>        'WITH_ACPI=yes',
> This makes upgrades a little smoother.

I've tried WITH_FREEBSD_AGP and the vanilla version. I want linux
support enabled, since I play neverwinter nights now and then.

> You might give that a try.  Just comment out the agp in your kernel,
> don't delete it yet - just in case the nvidia agp doesn't like the
> athlon for some reason.

That line is commented out already. I've tried commenting it out and
I've tried leaving it on, but there is no difference in behaviour.