How long will 4.x be supported?

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at clunix.cl.msu.edu
Fri Jan 7 13:54:23 PST 2005

> Given the serious stability issues that *some* users are having with
> 5.3, many are sticking with 4.x for production servers.
>
> Will FreeBSD keep the 4.x line alive for a little while longer? Perhaps
> going into 4.12, 4.13, etc?

It has been stated that they hope 4.11 will be the last release
in the 4.xx track.   That is due out at the end of January.
I don't think that 4.11 being the last out is hard and fast yet though.

I don't see much discussion of stability or security issues with 5.3+ -
only some gripes about it being a little slow and some comments that
not all the debug code has yet been removed which accounts for a
portion of the slowness in some things - network response, I think.

> I ask this only because I don't see a lot of communication to the list
> about these issues being addressed.

It has been discussed a number of times.

////jerry