clearing space

Marty Landman MLandman at face2interface.com
Fri Jan 7 08:59:35 PST 2005

At 11:32 AM 1/7/2005, Peter Risdon wrote:
>On Fri, 2005-01-07 at 10:41 -0500, Marty Landman wrote:
>

> > This has become a problem. Took a working keyboard from another box and it
> > won't work. Unless by some weird chance I should reboot first.
> >

>This happens, but don't just reboot.

Peter, are you saying that it's possible my keyboard isn't working because
the console hasn't been used for a very long time? If so, why isn't
rebooting the easiest thing to do?

> > Have one idea. Samba is set up and I can access from my windows
> > workstation. If I change
>
>That won't work.

I realized that after sending the msg. Because Samba doesn't override the
permissions on / which are rwxr-xr-x, right?

What about toor? Isn't that a fallback to root? I've never understood what
that was about... you're likely getting a good idea of my skill level about
now. :)

>No - you ought to be able to su to root still.

But how?

%su -
Password:
su: no directory
%

>I checked this before the original answer because, although I wasn't
>recommending your directory moves, just telling you how to avoid linking
>individual binaries and files by doing the whole directory, I didn't even
>want to do that if I
>thought it would cause a prob like this.

Hey it's all a learning experience. Fact is it's not even keeping me from
doing the work I was originally out to do... don't need root for that.

What clobbered the space on my / - besides having too small an allocation -
was using Perl's cpan shell. By deleting /root/.cpan recursively I've fixed
that issue. The greater issue is, as has been said, learning to do this on
another directory like /usr.

>If you can boot onto a FreeBSD CDROM it'd be easy to fix this. Can you?

I still have the 4.8 mini-iso the system was installed with. But I need the
console to do this right? Any way I can be sure that the ps2 port/mobo
isn't what's really shot? Or does it even matter?

Marty

Marty Landman, Face 2 Interface Inc. 845-679-9387
Search & Sort Easily: http://face2interface.com/Products/FormATable.shtml
Web Installed Formmail: http://face2interface.com/formINSTal