FreeBSD on Sun SPARC 20

Matthias Buelow mkb at incubus.de
Fri Jan 7 08:15:50 PST 2005

Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

> Also, with a Sparc 20 try to load a copy of Solaris 2.6 rather than a later
> copy, it will run faster and Sun still releases patches for it.

Hmm, I don't know if that's worth it.  I run Solaris 9 on an SS20 (2x
60MHz SM61, 224MB RAM) and am very satisfied with its performance.  I
have run Solaris 2.5.1 aswell as 7, 8 and 9 on various SS5 (all 110mhz
MicroSparc, ~128mb RAM average), and Solaris 9 seemed to me to be the
best performing system on that old hardware (of course it always pays to
disable some of the crud that it normally starts at boot, but that holds
for all SunOSen).