source control question

Александр Деревянко aeder at list.ru
Fri Jan 7 07:41:06 PST 2005

Robert William Vesterman wrote:

> Does anyone know of a source control system that is not so
> directory-centric? Most of the ones I've seen seem to have a base
> assumption that, more or less, "directory" == "project".
> But in reality, a directory could be a project, or part of a project,
> or part of many projects, or merely structural (i.e. merely to
> organize subdirectories, any of which may or may not be used in any
> number of projects, each project of which is not necessarily
> completely contained in the structural parent directory).  And a
> project may span many directories, each of which is not necessarily
> anywhere near the others in the overall repository tree structure, and
> whose repository tree "neighbors" are not necessarily parts of the
> same project.
>
> For example, you may have top level repository things like "work" and
> "personal", which are completely structural.  And maybe "utils", which
> you might use in both work and personal projects.  And then if you use
> some Java, and do the standard way of making packages
> (com.mydomain.blah.blah.blah), you'll probably have a "java" directory
> outside of "work" and "personal", having a whole tree of
> subdirectories, any of which may be a complete project, part of a
> project, part of many projects, et cetera.  And a project may be
> spread across "personal" and "java" and "utils" and any number of
> other organizational things.
>
> I'm sure there are ways to bend things like Subversion into kind of
> behaving the way I want, but are there any systems that are actually
> designed with this concept in mind?
>
> Thanks,
>
> BOb Vesterman.

Suggest to take a look at Perforce (www.perforce.com). It is commercial,
but have free two-user license, and you can obtain free license for
open-source development.
Personally, i have use it and it works very well for me.

 From my point of view, it have the following advantage:
1. It can be easily used by command-line oriented geeks.
2. It have a nice client-interface program for untrained point-and-click
document-writers.
All other advantages is described on it's site.

Disadvantages:
1. Unicode (multilanguage) development is not perfect.

As i know, the FreeBSD development was made in this SCM system.

Best regards,
Alexander Derevianko.