Howto check the hard disk bad sectors in FreeBSD?

Jay Moore jaymo at cromagnon.cullmail.com
Thu Jan 6 23:37:59 PST 2005

On Tuesday 04 January 2005 11:13 pm, Unreal HSHH wrote:

> I have one harddisk installed in FreeBSD.
> And I want to check if any bad sectors on it.
> How can I do ? It seems the fsck can't do this.

I'm not sure this can be done, but if you're looking for something to monitor
the health of your drives there are a number of utilities available that use
the "S.M.A.R.T." feature built into most current hard drives. In general,
these utilities will help you predict failure of your HDD.

Here's one such tool:
http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/

HTH,
Jay