Configuring POSTFIX to use mutiple email accounts

Paul Schmehl pauls at utdallas.edu
Thu Jan 6 11:51:44 PST 2005

--On Thursday, January 06, 2005 02:27:47 PM -0500 Gerard Seibert
<gerard-seibert at rcn.com> wrote:

> My ISP does restrict port 25. So I guess what I really want to know is
> how do I configure POSTFIX to work under that condition.

In main.cf, set "relayhost = smtp.rcn.com

This tells postfix that any mail it is to send *must* be sent to
smtp.rcn.com, and smtp.rcn.com will then send the mail on to its final
destination.

Then, in your mail client, you designate your instance of postfix as the
outgoing mail server.  *However*, you really don't have to do all this, and
endure the hassle of having to learn SMTP and Postfix, if all you want to
do is send and receive email.  Just set your outgoing mail server for all
your accounts to smtp.rcn.com and let them do all the work for you.

Paul Schmehl (pauls at utdallas.edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
The University of Texas at Dallas
AVIEN Founding Member