Sun revokes FreeBSD license for Java

David Gerard fun at thingy.apana.org.au
Thu Jan 6 04:41:35 PST 2005

Anthony Atkielski (atkielski.anthony at wanadoo.fr) [050106 12:53]:
> Tom Vilot writes:

> TV> I prefer to use just about any other tool (except, of course, for
> TV> JSP/.NET, etc). Python, Perl, ... any other tool will do the jobs I
> TV> need done and I can avoid the sluggishness of Java, the licensing
> TV> ambiguities, and the dependence on a company that is *not* a
> TV> software company to begin with!

> I tend to agree.  Are people still using Java?  Perl seems to do just
> about everything.

Commercially, yes - particularly for in-house apps, not anything
distributed outside. My job is adminning Solaris and Red Hat boxes which
are basically running an in-house platform with a pile of custom apps on
top, both written in Java.  Java's gratis-proprietary license is certainly
good enough for our purposes businesswise, and it's cross-platform enough
that we've had very little trouble sliding Solaris out from underneath and
replacing it with Red Hat (HPaq servers offering a bit more bang for the
buck). But you won't see much open-source Java until the license isn't
odious. OpenOffice.org only uses it because of Sun.

- d.