Experience with Dell Inspiron 1150 laptop?

Eric Schuele e.schuele at computer.org
Wed Jan 5 21:28:15 PST 2005

Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
> On Wednesday,  5 January 2005 at 11:20:31 -0600, Eric Schuele wrote:
>
>>Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
>>
>>>I'm thinking of buying a Dell Inspiron 1150 laptop.  I have a number
>>>of Dells, and on the whole I'm happy, but I've had "issues" before.
>>>Can anybody who has one of these machines (1150 only, please) tell me
>>>good or bad things about it?  Have you been able to get the internal
>>>wireless card to work?
>>
>>My point is... you may have to use the windows drivers with a wrapper to
>>get it to work.
>

> Yes, that was my suspicion as well, and one of the reasons for my
> question.
>

>>On the other hand... I've switched to an Atheros based miniPCI card
>>which works quite well with 'device ath'. I can give you a link if
>>your interested.
>

> Thanks, but no.  I have wireless cards here.  I was wondering about
> the onboard card.

I was referring to the internal onboard (miniPCI) card.  You could
purchase the laptop without one (if that's an option) and then drop in
your own.  I chose an Atheros based one... but there are Prism based
ones floating around as well.

>>So you might dig around and try to find out positively whose card
>>those miniPCI devices are.
>

> That's what I'm trying to do, and also (if possible) get more details
> about how to get them running.

I can give you very specific instruction on how I got the 1300
(Broadcom) working with 5.2.1... but I don't think thats what your after.

--
Regards,
Eric