System update

Kris Kennaway kris at obsecurity.org
Wed Jan 5 18:09:50 PST 2005

On Thu, Jan 06, 2005 at 08:55:27AM +0700, Olivier Nicole wrote:
> > Where does it say that?  I see only comments in passing about 'make
> > world', but the explicit directions on how to update (correctly)
> > mention the separate buildworld/installworld steps.
>
> Around line 490 of /usr/src/UPDATING (version 4.10-p5) it reads:
>
> 	To rebuild everything
> 	make world
>
> 	Except when it doesn't work :-)

OK, turns out the copy in my allegedly RELENG_4 tree was from HEAD.
The above is strictly true, but not helpful since it doesn't tell you
when it doesn't work.

For the full guaranteed-to-work instructions, read the section a few
lines down about updating "from 4.0-RELEASE or later to the most
current 4.x-STABLE".

Kris