Supermicro Hardware and FreeBSD

Tom Vilot tom at vilot.com
Wed Jan 5 11:58:24 PST 2005

Tm4528 at aol.com wrote:

>Yes, you've "missed" the fact that kernels and distributions are independent
>of one-another in linux. "Redhat" is just a distribution and has little to do
>with what particular kernel version you are using.

First of all, that wasn't missed. It was quite intentional. I am
underscoring the difference between Linux and *BSD.

Second, I would argue with the assessment Linux doesn't do a "major
release" until it is "arguably better than the previous version," and
that this somehow is in contrast to *BSD.  This is an ambiguous
statement, at best. Define "major" and define "better."