Epson Stylus C84 printer setup

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at toybox.placo.com
Wed Jan 5 02:25:56 PST 2005

KISS = Keep It Simple & Stupid

>  >
>  > CUPS is unnecessary.  unnecessary software complicates the machine
>  > and makes it harder to troubleshoot.  I don't personally care much
>  > for this.
>

> I understand now. I agree with you. When I was in Linux, I first used
> "apsfilter" and "lprng". Then, I read somewhere that CUPS was the new
> thing and lpr was an obsolete thing and I switched. I accept that cups
> is very easy to configure, but you are right, I have lost the control of
> the machine.
>
>  >
>  > Also, too many people out there have got the idea that CUPS is
>  > somehow required to make their printer work.  Not good.  This
>  > leads to less understanding of how things work.
>

> I completely agree with you. The problem is when a user has no idea how
> to configure a printer and has to choose among making some clics on a
> WEB interface or reading several manual pages without
> understanding a word.

No, the problem is when a user blindly installs a web interface that they
don't understand in order to make some clicks and the web interface doesen't
work.

I don't knock web interfaces per-se I use them a lot at work for many
systems.  But no admin that works under me only knows how to configure
these systems only by the web interface - well, perhaps that isn't totally
true as I'm the only one that knows anything under the surface of the
accounting system, but that's not a system that customers deal with.
But for all the systems that count, the web interface isn't loaded on
and made accessible until the admin knows how the stuff underneath the
webinterface works.

Of course, this is only true for UNIX, the Windows systems are
effectively black boxes.  An OS is unrepairable under the surface
when the #1 way to fix it is to reinstall it.

>  >
>  > This is a personal taste thing.  Some people like to buy cars
>  > that have a factory cd player/dvd player/drink cooler/hand washer/
>  > power windows/power door locks/factory alarm/antitheft key/remote
>  > starter/extra fog lights/spoilers that do nothing at any legal speed/
>  > gps systems/onstar systems/etc. etc. etc.
>  >
>  > Others like to buy cars with a minimal set of things that go a
>  > lot faster because they aren't loaded down with all the extra
>  > unnecessary baloney, and don't cost as much to repair because all
>  > the extra crap isn't breaking down all the time.
>

> I agree again, I personally prefer keeping thisng as simple as I can.
> But in this case I have succumbed with the easy thing.
>
>  >
>  > It is the same with computers.  I know of people who have
>  > Windows boxes that are so highly configured it takes them
>  > literally weeks to put backgrounds/sounds/games/doodads/etc.etc.
>  > on every little thing of their PC.  To me it is sad to see
>  > this same attitude encroaching on FreeBSD.
>

> Thanks dear Ted, your post has made me think twice. I am going to study
> the manual and try to configure the printer as you explained. I seems to
> be easy and SIMPLE.

Well there's another phrase you should know that I'm a strong proponent of:

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Since your installation is working - it ain't broke.  I wouldn't touch it
unless the primary motivation is educational and you don't care if it
breaks.

Ted