make restart receives strange output

Kevin Kinsey kdk at daleco.biz
Tue Jan 4 12:55:58 PST 2005

Noah wrote:

>sendmail-8.12.3
>FreeBSD-4.9
>

>can somebody please explain to me why "Restarting:--: not found" is displayed
>when I restart sendmail?   this started recently.
>

>--- snip ---
>
># cd /etc/mail
># make restart
>Restarting:--: not found
> sendmail sendmail-clientmqueue.
>#
>
>--- snip ---
>
>and from /etc/mail/Makefile
>
>--- snip ---
>
>#
># $FreeBSD: src/etc/mail/Makefile,v 1.9.2.26 2004/06/06 17:29:48 gshapiro Exp $
>#
># This Makefile provides an easy way to generate the configuration
># file and database maps for the sendmail(8) daemon.
>#
>

>---- snip ---
>

>cheers,
>
>Noah

I'm inclined to think that in editing either an .mc/.cf file
or the Makefile, someone has left an errant character
or other symbol.  Or, it could be in the .rc script itself.

But it's impossible (for me, anyway) to know without
more information (like looking into those files, for example).

Kevin Kinsey