Properly installing PHP4 extensions under Apache 1.3.x

Olaf Greve o.greve at axis.nl
Tue Jan 4 01:59:11 PST 2005

Hi again,

Alright, I just found the missing step: I used to have an existing
php.ini file in which the extension_dir directive was not disabled.

Commenting that directive does the trick. :)

So the correct procedure should then be:

1) Update the ports tree using CVSup
2) Build the /usr/ports/lang/php4 port (= 4.3.10 -> make install)
3) Build the /usr/ports/lang/php4-extensions port
4) Build several extensions I need (GD, MySQL, session), again, I did do
a make install
5) Comment out the extension_dir directive in php.ini
6) Restart Apache

Cheers!
Olafo