Epson Stylus C84 printer setup

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at toybox.placo.com
Mon Jan 3 21:12:01 PST 2005

Why in heavens name are you bothering with CUPS?

And furthermore in FreeBSD 4.10 gimp-print version 4.2.6 is
in the ports and that DOES have support for the C84, the advice
to use C82 is just plain wrong.  That's what you get for depending
on some GPL-crutch like CUPS.

Here's what you do:

cd /usr/ports/print/gimp-print
make WITHOUT_CUPS=yes

(and to get working C84 ink levels, go here:

http://linuxfromscratch.org/pipermail/patches/2004-May/001151.html

apply that patch, then do a

make WITHOUT_CUPS=yes install

cd /usr/ports/print/ghostscript-gnu

make install  MAKE SURE NOT TO DESELECT ijs DRIVER

Then define the print queues, such as

cat /etc/printcap

lp-epson|Epson C84 Color printer:\
        :sh:\

:lp=/dev/lpt0:sd=/var/spool/output/lp-epson:lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:mx=0:\
        :of=/usr/local/bin/epsonfilter:rw:
lp-epson-raw|Epson C84 Color Printer - raw for Windows systems:\
        :sh:\

:lp=/dev/lpt0:sd=/var/spool/output/lp-epson-raw:lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:\
        :mx#0:rw:

And build the command filters, as many as you want for whatever resolutions
you
want to support:

cat /usr/local/bin/epsonfilter

#!/bin/sh
#
# Script that runs gimp-print for the Epson
#
/usr/local/bin/gs -q -sDEVICE=ijs -sIjsServer=/usr/local/bin/ijsgimpprint -s
DeviceManufacturer=EPSON  -sDeviceModel=escp2-c84 -sIjsParams=Quality=720x36
0sw,InkType=CMYK,MediaType=Plain -dIjsUseOutputFD -dNOPAUSE -dNOBATCH -dSAFE
R -sOutputFile=- -

Ted