ACPI and APM on 5.3

doug at safeport.com doug at safeport.com
Mon Jan 3 15:54:21 PST 2005

I finally got around to cleaning up rc.conf, now using only acpi. 'acpiconf -s
1' works. Resume is _much_ faster. That only leaves me with a couple of acpi
boot errors to clean up (they do not affect anything AFAIK) and to set rc.resume
to restore the network connection.

I have some glitches that were also present (or worse) using apm. I would assume
all this works much better on newer hardware.

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004, Eric Schuele wrote:

> doug at safeport.com wrote:
> > In attempting to get sound working on a Dell 7500 Inspiron (cira 1994) I tried
> > many combinations of ACPI and APM thinking that my sound problems stemmed from
> > interrupt or irq/pnp problems. That turned out not to be the case. Now
> > everything is working, but I am using a combination of the two as documented
> > below.
> >
> > Did I just 'luck out' or does apmd (sorta) by design work with the environment
> > it finds?

[cut]
> FWIW...
> I have experienced the same thing on my Dell Inspiron 5100.  I'm not
> currently running it that way, but was. Until I read that ACPI and APM
> will not run together.  Supposedly the last one up notices the first and
> bails.  So I opted for ACPI... which has left me wishing I was back with
> both even though they are not supposed to work together.
>
> I'm interested too, in other's opinions/explanations of this phenomenon.
>
> Regards,
> Eric

_____
Douglas Denault