FreeBSD 4.10 and finding dependant packages

Jordan Michaels jordan at viviotech.net
Mon Jan 3 14:53:47 PST 2005

Greetings,

I'm currently exploring FreeBSD 4.10 in an effort to get the "Emerging
Technologies Bandwidth Manager" (www.etinc.com) set up. I'm pretty
comfortable working in a Linux environment so I thought I'd tackle this
project in FreeBSD because of BSD's reputation for stability and security.

Part of the ETBWMGR's requirements is to have apache installed, which is
normally fine. I used the /stand/sysinstall program to install a basic
version of apache:

# /stand/sysinstall

Configure -> Packages -> www -> apache-1.3.29_3

However, now when I go to install php, I get an error message (Error
code 1) and when I try to remove the check box next to the apache
package, I get a "This package is required by 2 other packages" error
message.

So, my questions is simple: What do I need to do to figure out what
packages require apache to be installed? I've worked with SuSE's YAST
tool and RPM's (and tools that manage RPM's... like YAST), but what's
the BSD way to go about this?

Warm regards,
Jordan Michaels
Vivio Technologies