write state to swap for multi-os boot

Eric Kjeldergaard kjelderg at gmail.com
Mon Jan 3 01:48:53 PST 2005

> > But it's a great way to boot Linux under Windows, or FreeBSD under
> > either, or have multiple OSes running simultaneously under a single
> > computer.
>
> How good is device support from within vmware? Can I get to
> serial/usb/audio/network ports seamlessly?

Well, these things aren't exactly seamless, but they are doable.  In
(all?) of these cases, the access to the host's resources are done
indirectly via drivers and emulated hardware.  An exception to this is
USB which can (I think) be done directly allowing a client to utilise
the USB devices of the host regardless of the support of the
individual device by the host.  As far as network, it can be natted or
bridged from the controller, and audio is done as a sound device
driver that just streams the sound to the parent's sound mechanism.

--
If I write a signature, my emails will appear more personalised.