Recommended Mail Transfer Agent

Matthias Buelow mkb at incubus.de
Sun Jan 2 12:40:44 PST 2005

Bill Moran wrote:

> I've been using Dovecot for quite some time now.  It's not even a 1.0
> product yet, and I still find it excellent for both POP and IMAP.  It
> includes support for both POP3S and IMAPS, which I find very important
> in this day and age.

I've had bad experience so far with dovecot, including, but not limited
to, lock file problems, hung imap processes in the bulk, and behaviour
that neither matched the comments in the sample config file, nor the
documentation (and both were contradictory), like the way to configure
inbox and folder locations.
Unless the OP has the time and resources to experiment, I'd suggest
leaving that software alone for a while still until it has been
stabilized, and go for proven alternatives like Cyrus or Courier (or
even uw-imapd, if it's a one-person setup).

mkb.