Why might my USB devices be detected?

Trey Sizemore trey at fastmail.fm
Sun Jan 2 12:11:43 PST 2005

My USB devices are not being detected on my tower.  I'm running
5.3-STABLE and have the following in my /etc/rc.conf:

        salamander# cat /etc/rc.conf
        # -- sysinstall generated deltas -- # Mon Dec  6 13:36:23 2004
        # Created: Mon Dec  6 13:36:23 2004
        # Enable network daemons for user convenience.
        # Please make all changes to this file, not
to /etc/defaults/rc.conf.
        # This file now contains just the overrides
from /etc/defaults/rc.conf.
        hostname="salamander.thesizemores.net"
        ifconfig_vr0="DHCP"
        linux_enable="YES"
        moused_enable="YES"
        usbd_enable="YES"
        sendmail_enable="YES"
        sendmail_flags="-bd"
        sendmail_pidfile="/var/spool/postfix/pid/master.pid"
        sendmail_outbound_enable="NO"
        sendmail_submit_enable="NO"
        sendmail_msp_queue_enable="NO"
        devfs_system_ruleset="local_ruleset"

and this in a /etc/devfs.rules file that I created per another post I
saw on the forum:

        [local_ruleset=10]
        add path 'ugen*' mode 664

The following lines appear in my /sys/i386/conf/GENERIC file (this is
out-of-the-box, I have not recompiled the kernel since initial install):

        # USB support
        device          uhci            # UHCI PCI->USB interface
        device          ohci            # OHCI PCI->USB interface
        device          usb             # USB Bus (required)
        #device         udbp            # USB Double Bulk Pipe devices
        device          ugen            # Generic
        device          uhid            # "Human Interface Devices"
        device          ukbd            # Keyboard
        device          ulpt            # Printer
        device          umass           # Disks/Mass storage - Requires
scbus and da
        device          ums             # Mouse
        device          urio            # Diamond Rio 500 MP3 player
        device          uscanner        # Scanners

        # SCSI peripherals
        device          scbus           # SCSI bus (required for SCSI)
        device          ch              # SCSI media changers
        device          da              # Direct Access (disks)
        device          sa              # Sequential Access (tape etc)
        device          cd              # CD
        device          pass            # Passthrough device (direct
SCSI access)
        device          ses             # SCSI Environmental Services
(and SAF-TE)

However, when I connect my camera via the USB connector (or via a
SanDisk card reader) and turn it on, I get no messages in dmesg and
usbdevs shows

        salamander# usbdevs
        addr 1: UHCI root hub, VIA
        addr 1: UHCI root hub, VIA
        addr 1: UHCI root hub, VIA

I also have an Epson Stylus C84 printer connected directly to one of the
box's USB ports and it doesn't appear either.  I have PNP turned off in
the BIOS.  What else could I check?  These ports were working as
recently as a month ago with a Linux flavor installed.

Thanks.

--
Cheers,
Trey

Humor is the only test of gravity, and gravity of humor; for a subject
which will not bear raillery is suspicious, and a jest which will not
bear serious examination is false wit.
-- Aristotle

3:06PM up 1:15, 0 users, load averages: 0.01, 0.02, 0.00
FreeBSD salamander.thesizemores.net 5.3-STABLE i386