basic freebsd programming

Andrew P. infofarmer at mail.ru
Sun Jan 2 10:11:44 PST 2005

Hello and Happy New Year!

I need to write some very basic C programs under FreeBSD. I am new to
Unix programming and not very good at C programming either, so I'm
looking for documentation on some topics. The ones that are the most
interesting for me now is how to write small daemons best and how to
read ipfw info from a program. Man pages help me very much, but I really
need some guide. The problem is that doc project doesn't seem to have
released anything like it. I looked through dev-, arch-, porters-
handbooks, read design-44bsd - but I didn't find what I want.

Of course I can refresh my C skills and gain some Unix-coding knowledge
by reading a couple' thousand pages, but I don't feel like it's
necessary for what I want to write - just a basic statistics collector.

Should I explore FreeBSD source code or is there some solid piece of
documentation?

Best wishes,
Andrew P.