Weird problem with 3C509 ISA NIC

Nikolas Britton freebsd at nbritton.org
Sun Jan 2 05:06:06 PST 2005

I was looking at the dmesg output on my firewall and "re"-remembered
that I have this 3Com 509 card that doesn't work quite right. take a
look at the demsg output below...

dmesg:
ep0: <3Com 3C509-TPO EtherLink III> at port 0x300-0x30f irq 10 on isa0
ep0: No irq?!
ep0: ep_alloc() failed! (6)
device_probe_and_attach: ep0 attach returned 6
ep1: <3Com 3C509B-TPO EtherLink III (PnP)> at port 0x210-0x21f irq 3 on isa0
ep1: Ethernet address 00:10:4b:54:39:52

There is only one of those cards in the system yet there are two ep
devices. IIRC I have always had problems with this card in any system/OS
I put it in, infact FreeBSD is the only OS I can get it to work in... I
also have an identical clone of this card (might be a diffrent revision)
that works perfectly in FreeBSD or any system I stick it in.