No MAKEDEV in /dev

Timothy Luoma lists at tntluoma.com
Sat Jan 1 21:10:11 PST 2005

On Jan 1, 2005, at 11:46 PM, Rob wrote:

> Timothy Luoma wrote:
>> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/ppp-
>> troubleshoot.html tells me to use this command from /dev/:
>>     sh MAKEDEV cuaa0 cuaa1 cuaa2 cuaa3
>> but there is no MAKEDEV in /dev/
>
> Usually there are two entries for this in the documentation,
> one for 4.X and another for 5.X systems.
>
> On 5.3, see 'man MAKEDEV' and 'man devfs', and find out
> that MAKEDEV is deprecated by devfs.

Ah, I guess this is a place where the documentation hasn't yet been
updated.  I didn't think to check the manpage until just after I sent
my message.

FWIW, as a layman/FreeBSD newbie, I'd make a suggestion that the
manpage for MAKEDEV make it a bit more clear that having 'devfs' means
that MAKEDEV commands are no longer necessary because devfs will take
care of it automatically.

I found myself trying to read 'man devfs' to figure out a way to
manually make cuaa0.

TjL