xorg/dri-6.2_1,2 upgrade problems

Ned Harrison ned.woody at cox.net
Sat Jan 1 12:06:51 PST 2005

Thanks again.  I'll try the portmanager.  I read through a discussion of
it in freebsd-questions, but didn't have a command example to try.
(Thanks for your command suggestion for portmanager.)  For portupgrade I
have paper copies of the man page and paper copy of an article which I
cross reference before running it. You are right on dependencies not
being built.  I had to pkg_delete qt and rebuild it from ports in order
to upgrade kde.  Before seeing your message I ran portupgrade on xorg
using the -frR switch.

X seams to be working now, somewhat.  I use windowmaker as the desktop
windowmanager for the root.  Entering the command "startx" as root,
windowmaker starts up and looks fine.  However, I can't open a terminal
window in it.  The default twm windowmanager crashes.  No error messages
go to the log but I get a line:

Xauth: (argv):1  bad display name "nedsbsd.cox.net:0" in "list" command

and two others of like nature as messages after x crashes.
I entered "nedsbsd" as a display name when I initially installed FreeBSD
several months ago.  I had no clue what it the install program was
asking for at that time and figured I could change it later.  It didn't
seam to cause any problems so I neglected to change it.

I generally cvsup my ports and fetch the index right before I do any
upgrading.  Even if it's just the next day.  Never know when something
new is going to pop in that could cause a make to crash.
I took down the optimizations you suggested.  The lines currently have
no meaning to me, so I'll need to read up a bit.  I've been running
FreeBSD for less than a year and I've had no computer experience or
training outside very basic MS windows.  So many things are new and many
are incomprehensible at first look.  Dispite that I feel far more
comfortable and secure using FreeBSD than I ever did using Windows.
That's why I'll keep plugging away.