Programming with Bourne or C shell

Vulpes Velox v.velox at vvelox.net
Sat Jan 1 09:08:26 PST 2005

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 21:20:22 -0600
Michael Madden <madden at cmsrtp.com> wrote:

> I have most of my interactive shell experience using bash on Linux
> and shell programing on Unix-like systems with Bourne shell.  Since
> FreeBSD's default shell is csh/tcsh, I was wondering if it's still
> considered an atrocity to develop shell scripts with C shell:
>
> http://www.faqs.org/faqs/unix-faq/shell/csh-whynot/
>
> Are most FreeBSD users still using csh or tcsh has their interactive
> shell and sh for programming?  I think it would be nice to use the
> same interactive and programming shell for consistency.

Unless you want something with interactive features and want something
in the base, I really don't see much of a reason to choose tcsh.

It can make a nice tuner control script using hotkeys and ect, but not
much else.

Tcsh if you ever try scripting in it will become a PITA with the lack
of functions and a few other things.