Devfs question

Loren M. Lang lorenl at alzatex.com
Sat Jan 1 15:00:47 GMT 2005

On Sat, Jan 01, 2005 at 01:59:10PM +0000, SPYRIDON PAPADOPOULOS wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Well i use freebsd for sometime and i know many things in here but anyway i do NOT consider my self advanced user... So i am sorry if i cannot explain my problem properly.
> First of all i am running at the moment FreeBSD  5.2.1-RC2 on a DELL Latitude C810 Laptop.
> I have a problem with my sound card it is an ESS Technology Maestro3 pci card as FreeBSD recogizes also. The thing that makes me worry here is that when in X-windows i open the Info Center and press on "storage devices" section it gives me this screen with the storage devices which actually are my partitions or cdroms. (Sorry i am no sending a screenshot) so there is the root " / " paritions among with "/var", "/tmp", "/usr" and "/dev". Now all of them shows a normal output for "usage" and  "Full%" and for "size" but "/dev" has the following attributes: device: "devfs" (where others: "/dev/..." are having the path) - Type: " ? " (where others "ufs" or "cd9660") - Size: "1024B" (where others "..MB" or "...GB" - Free: "0B" - Full: "100.0%" and finaly the "Usage" bar is red and full!
> Is this normal?

Yes, devfs is a virtual filesystem, it takes no space on any real device
like a hard disk.  All files under /dev are a special type of file
called character or block device files and have no data in themselves,
but are basically symbolic names for various devices in your system.
Also, as devfs is maintained in memory and all files are created
automatically as hardware appears and disappears, like usb devices, it
only uses as much memory as needed and, therfore, will allways show up
as 100% full.

> (If you have problems understanding what i am describing in this e-mail please let me know and i am terribly sorry)

Wrapping lines ar 72 characters will help make the email more readable
in the future.